Saturday 19 December 2015

Bat Patch - Mérida, Extremadura

 The Roman Bridge at dawn (Russell F Spencer)
Every day I seem to be seeing additions to my growing Mérida list. But I wasn't expecting to see a bat hunting in broad daylight
 Probable Noctule Bat
It was flying around the top of a riparian tree chasing after insects with extreme agility. It had the body size of a House Martin with longer wings.
 Common Crane
Whilst marvelling at the bat a group of cranes flew over plus I caught a glimpse of rapidly passing Crag Martin.
 Red Kite
A couple of Red Kites decided to appear with one choosing to dive-bomb some nearby feral cats. One of the moggies pelted up a tree!
 Red Kite over Mérida
Iberian Grey Shrike
There was plenty of calling eminating from the trees with most of the sounds coming from the throats of the abundant Serins. Many of the males were in full display mode replete with their Greenfinch- like slow flappy display flight.

I also glanced at an Iberian Grey Shrike, a bird (the same bird?) that I noticed equally briefly last week.

No comments: