Thursday 10 October 2013

A to D

I spent a very enjoyable couple of days in Scotland visiting Aberdeen and Dundee. The purpose of my visit was to speak in both cities to their respective bird clubs, RSPB local groups and Scottish Ornithologists Club members. Both talks went really well and I thoroughly enjoyed speaking at their respective universities.

I spent a day wandering around the urban delights of Aberdeen in the company of Mark Sullivan, Chair of the Aberdeen Local RSPB Members Group. He was a superb host and although we didn't see any thing amazing, I could see just how good the area was for finding good birds.

The same could be said of Dundee. My host there, Graham Smith who was the Chair of the Dundee group also looked after me beautifully. We managed to see 55 species during the morning that he took me around with the star birds being the flock of nine Whooper Swans that flew over his house at an incredible height. They were his first of the winter.
 Looking out from Girdle Ness, Aberdeen
 A view over Dundee
 One of the many skiens of Pink-footed Geese
 A Cormorant
 Herring Gull
Mistle Thrush