Thursday 26 September 2013

Oare-some!

Spotted Crake - Oare Marshes Sunday 22nd September 2013
I led a tour today in north Kent visiting the Isle of Grain and Oare Marshes near Faversham. I must say that I have been mighty impressed with the good people of Kent that I came across. They were courteous and extremely friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out in the 'Garden of England'.

I originally popped over to Kent last Sunday to reccie birding venues and routes in readiness for today's tour. Always on my list was the Isle of Grain, an area in the mouth of the Thames and right opposite Southend in Essex, that I have been coming back to since the 80's. It's one of those places were you know that something good is bound to be lurking. I also visited the fabulous Oare Marshes for the first time. What a great little reserve run by the Kent Wildlife Trust. At high tide a multitude of waders show up in quite impressive numbers. Today we saw Ruff, Golden Plover, Avocet, Ringed Plover, Bar-tailed and Black-tailed Godwits, Greenshank, Redshank, Dunlin and Lapwing.

Last week, I caught up with the Spotted Crake that was working the ditch near the hide closest to the road. Today, despite it being seen this morning I could not find it for my clients.

Regardless, they had a great time and are now two of the newest fans of birding in Kent

No comments: