Monday 12 March 2012

The Cock of the Rock, King of the Hill, Muscle in Brussels

Egyptian Goose in Brussels (Stephen Boddington)
Last weekend I made an impromptu visit to Brussels for some urban birding at the invitation of Stephen Boddington, an ex-pat who has lived in the city for the past 14 years.

I always imagined the city as a grey concreted rainy business centre. I had only been there once and that was a driveby scenario around 12 years years ago. My feeling then was to keep driving. This time around I was surprised as to the amount of species to be seen within the city limits. Marsh Warblers breed, White Stork and Common Crane migrate around the city and Peregrines breed within the city.

Stephen and I saw a good range of birds on our Sunday drift around the city using public transport. A single Goshawk drifting over, several Middle Spotted Woodpeckers, a possible Black Woodpecker heard drumming, Short-toed Treecreepers and Marsh Tits were the best of the bunch plus a ton of delightful Red Squirrels.

Brussels was not my favourite city mainly due to the intense dislike that the Dutch and the French inhabitants have for each other - which even permeates into the birding scene. Having two seperate birding websites - one French and the other Dutch - that don't cross-pollinate with each just seemed utterly ridiculous to me.

Despite that, Brussels is worth a second look if you find yourself there.

No comments: