Sunday 15 August 2010

Migrant hunting

Common Whitethroat (Russell F Spencer)
Whilst everyone else in London have been busily cleaning up on the falls of migrants for the past few days, I seemed to be struggling over at The Scrubs. To be fair, I have had good numbers of warblers with Whitethroats topping the list. I had over 30 of those this morning- many of them being youngsters - as well as up to 9 Lesser Whitethroats a couple days ago. Interestingly, one of the Lesser 'throats had a very white face due to it's 'bandit' mask eyestripe being very fine. Indeed, the whole bird looked particularly pallid.

We've also been hosting at least 2 Sedge Warblers, a Reed Warbler and up to 3 Garden Warblers along Lester's Embankment along the northern edge of The Scrubs. It is currently warbler city. This morning had a very autumnal feel about it. It was hazy with a north easterly breeze. I had high hopes, but after 4 hours of scouring every bush and scanning the skies I only had 4 Swift to show for my effort.

Well, tomorrow is another day and anything can turn up anywhere at anytime - as I often chant!

No comments: