Tuesday 27 July 2010

The zombie walks

Garden Warbler (Russell F Spencer)
Stupidly, I woke at 5am this morning after 3 hours sleep having convinced myself that I needed to check my patch out for migrants.

I arrived in a stupor and remained fairly glazed over as I walked the realm with fellow Scrubber, Roy Nuttall. It was a bad move. I should have been tucked up in bed recovering from my long distance lorry driving feat at the weekend.

I recorded a Stock Dove, c60 Swifts wheeling overhead and in the grassland around 100 juvenile Starlings, a young Reed Bunting, c60 Goldfinches and about 20 Linnets in their midst. Someone reported a Garden Warbler yesterday, which would have been our earliest returning bird on record. But on re-reading his description of the pair of birds he saw the repetitive 'tweets' they were uttering certainly sounded wrong for this species. Perhaps they were Willow Warblers or Chiffchaffs.

No comments: