Monday 21 June 2010

Iceland magic moment

Sorry for not keeping regular updates of late, but I've been toiling as ever. Add to that the fact I'm still catching up with my sleep after 6 darkless nights in Iceland last week and I guess that you'll be beginning to get the picture!

The highlight bird for me were undoubtably the Gyr Falcon that Russell F Spencer, my ace photographer, shot at around 1am on the final night. He didn't waste time capturing this magnificent bird in its prime during this chance encounter.
Gyr Falcon being mobbed by an Arctic Skua
All images copyright of Russell F Spencer
We saw all the Icelandic specialities (Harlequin Duck, Barrow's Goldeneye, Brunnich's Guillemot) plus stacks of Ptarmigan, Golden Plover, Common Snipe, Whimbrel, Black-tailed Godwit, Red-necked Phalarope, Greylag, Pink-feet, Eurasian Wigeon, Long-tailed Duck, Common Scoter, Arctic Tern, Glaucous Gull, Arctic Skua, Short-eared Owl and Snow Bunting. In addition to some really special birds like an adult Long-tailed Skua, a drake American Wigeon, Iceland's 1st Wilson's Snipe that we watched and heard drumming plus the country's 5th or 6th ever Arctic Warbler heard singing and glimpsed.

I will be writing about my amazing Icelandic experiences in Bird Watching Magazine but a big shout out must go to Hrafn Svavarsson (Gavia Travel), Jan (The Man) Kolbiensson and the Visit Iceland people.

In the meantime, expect to see some more stunning photos from the trip over the next few days.

1 comment: