Monday 21 September 2009

RSPB Rainham Country Fayre

Sunday was spent at Rainham Marshes of course after a trip to The Scrubs where I scored our second ever Shoveler - 1 high flying bird clearly recognisable by it spatula bill.
Russell & Yvette Spencer with TUB
I was representing the newly renamed London Bird Club (part of the London Natural History Society). But I spent most of my time chatting with photographer Russell Spencer and his lovely wife Evette.

Whilst engrossed in conversation I managed to not hear a tannoy message voiced by warden, Howard Vaughan that a possible Eleonora's Falcon was drifting slowly over. Nor did I hear his earlier call highlighting the nearby presence of a juvenile Montagu's Harrier and an earlier Goshawk!
The Essex Boys, TUB and Warden, Howard Vaughan
The London Bird Club crew: Ian Woodward, Angela Linnell & TUB
This morning I witnessed an amazing passage of House Martins. Over 900 birds passed over during the course of 2 hours. It was a truly phenomenal sight with the sky often filled with the birds.

No comments: