Wednesday 26 August 2009

Walking through the grass

This morning we reverted back to our usual service regarding the weather - grey skies and rain. Well, drizzle to be exact. A stroll around The Scrubs in the rain was initially fairly drab although I did count over 25 Long-tailed Tits and an almost equal number of Blue Tits in Chats Paddock.

My moment of inspiration came shortly after a noticed a Common Tern flapping elegantly south. It was our latest ever record as this bird is rarely encountered after late July. I then decided to walk through the grassland, something that I usually refrain from doing until at least early September.

I've flushed a whole manner of things from the grassland in previous years from moggies, moths and occasional fox to Sedge Warbler, Song Thrush, Lapwing, Snipe and even a Short-eared Owl once. Add to that the expected Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Stonechats, Whinchats and occasional Reed Buntings and the picture is more or less complete. Oh yes, and there were the two Richard's Pipits. How could I forget them?

My first venture into the grassland this autumn immediately resulted in flushing two Tree Pipits. I was very happy. It fired me up for the rest of the day.

No comments: