Wednesday 19 August 2009

Ohh, what a night!

This morning I took a break from my morning pilgrimage to The Scrubs. Fellow Scrubber, Roy Nuttall, nipped down though and didn't see much other than a Lesser Whitethroat along the warbler rich embankment.

No, I was chilling in bed, exalted from my previous night's success. I was in the Thetford Forest along with Birdguides' Fiona Barclay and Max Whitby and some of the British Trust for Ornithology's finest to film the possible capture and ringing of that mystical bird - the European Nightjar.

After setting up the nets we whiled away the time watching a nearby Hobby family and spying on the invertebrates that happened to fly near us. At 2105 hrs a Nightjar suddenly piped up, churring away and then took flight. We soon had the call from the second net, a short drive away, that they had caught a male. We raced over to the sight of a fine male. I had the rare opportunity to hold the bird. It was amazing!

The waiting game
TUB breaking down the intricacies of Nightjar identification to his mum
Setting the scene

With filming done and dusted by 2200 hrs I had dropped my mum home and was myself tucked up in bed by 0030.


1 comment:

Alan Tilmouth said...

Congratulations David and how cool is it to have a birder mum!