Sunday 14 June 2009

Football in the park

TUB in Kensington Gardens
This morning I lazily got out of bed at 7am and dragged myself down to The Scrubs. I counted at least 13 Common Whitethroat territories in the north western area of the site. Of interest was a solitary Mistle Thrush and a I saw a sole Sand Martin in amongst some swilling Swifts.

Later, I got roped into a game of jumpers-for-goalposts footie with some lads who were friends of friends. As it was just a kick around, I spent my time idly standing in goal listening for calling Great Spotted Woodpeckers and watching the sky.

After football, I headed off in search of birding sites to feature in my BBC Wildlife Magazine piece on London's birding spots. My polluted, traffic filled journey across London took me to such diverse places as Canary Wharf, Walthamstow Reservoirs and a small public park in Wapping by the Thames.

I will have more journeys to make like that one over the next couple of weeks - that is for sure!

No comments: