Thursday 4 December 2008

Trouble at mill



This morning was dismal. Rain, grey and drab. I journeyed to east Acton, west London to meet with Fiona Barclay at the Birdguides offices to do a voiceover. I'm working on an interesting project with them that will be launched in the New Year. I'm very excited about it. On the way back to the car I saw a sorry looking Woodpigeon in the close company of a Pied Wagtail on the pavement. They flew off together. An odd couple.

By the time I got home (a short 20 minute drive) the sun started to poke out again. I confirmed my trip to Brighton (14 December), my place at the Natural History Unit's Christmas Party and made more in-roads on my Scottish trip next week. Best of all, fellow birder blogger Clare Evans talked me through setting up skype on my computer, bringing me firmly into the 21st Century. Thank you Clare.

In the evening I went to the Friends of The Scrubs committee meeting (I'm a committee member) to get bored. Well that's what usually happens. This time I was horrified to learn that my beloved patch could be under threat, yet again.

In a nutshell, the Royal Horse Artillery has used parts of The Scrubs for years to exercise. The rumour is that the Ministry of Defence is going to pull out of The Scrubs in the near future. This may sound like good news, but it's potentially the opposite. If the MOD sell the land to the council (although The Scrubs is common ground it's main purpose was to serve the military) then it potentially leaves the area open to unabated development.

Happy days.

No comments: